Top 10 Coldscreen Warming Lotion FAQ's from our customers by Ryan Tattle — Posted on 14 Dec 01:53 , 0 comments
We have a saying here at UThermic that the quality of your questions will determine the quality of your answers.
You could say that we are very ‘question-centric’ if, in fact, that is a real term. If not then it is now!
Because the Coldscreen product and the warming lotion category is still relatively new, it was known from day one (some 3 years ago now) that we would receive a lot of questions, concerns and maybe some misunderstandings about what exactly it is.
Our product development and customer research/testing were very in depth with over 8000 people surveyed and tested which meant that we could use all of our learnings and put them directly into the messaging on the packaging.
This is why when you have a more detailed look and read you will find pretty much every answer to the most frequently asked questions we received during that time. Its called data-driven packaging design and it is awesome!
Because some of you reading this will have never picked up, seen or even heard of a warming cream or lotion before, let alone Coldscreen, I have laid out the top 10 questions and answers for you below so that you can be as informed as possible and also, more importantly, get the most out of the product which will lead to a positive experience all round :)
The top 10 questions answered for you
1. WHERE SHOULD I APPLY COLDSCREEN?
We have specifically formulated this version of Coldscreen for the body and not the face.
This is because of the range of different skin sensitivities that your body has which means that at a specific level, some areas like the face and sometimes even the belly or chest would find the heat too high, while your hands may not feel it at all.
So, the very best places to apply the Coldscreen ‘Original’ version is a combination of your:
2. CAN I WEAR IT UNDER CLOTHES AND WILL IT STAIN?
We highly recommend using Coldscreen as a compliment to clothing to get the ultimate benefits.
By just even wearing a windbreaker, it will help with the convection effect from the cold air while Coldscreen can focus on its job of creating the physical warmth through the layers of skin, and also maintaining some of the naturally generated body heat that is normally lost and wasted.
We have tested it vigorously on many different fabrics, even my favorite white dress shirt, with no signs of staining or damage.
3. WHAT IS IT MADE OF AND IS IT SAFE?
This was and still is by far the most critical factor we knew we would get asked about.
So there was a great deal of time making sure that we made it from the highest quality natural ingredients sourced responsibly from around the world.
It is made up of 98% natural and organic raw ingredients with the last 2% coming from common preservatives that both keep the naturals together and extend the use for up to 2 winter seasons. (if you manage to make it last that long)!
The main actives in non-scientific terms are:
- Jojoba seed oil
- Organic Aloe
- Vitamin B complex
- Tasmanian fruit extract
- German Chamomile essential oils
- Vanilla Blend
- Shea Butter
- Antarctic Kelp
- Xanthan Gum
Coldscreen has been put through strict ‘blind’ clinical trials in Princeton, New Jersey with individuals having self-assessed sensitive skin.
Here we put the product through the following studies:
- Efficacy - that the product actually did what we said it would
- Irritation - that no one had any reactions or adverse effects
- Toxicology - all of the ingredients were known to be safe for use
4. HOW DOES IT WORK TO HELP KEEP ME WARM?
Coldscreen has 3 main stages that are responsible for the very high efficacy rate.
1. Coldscreen is easily applied just like any other quality moisturizer to the hands, arms, feet, and legs to provide your skin with hydration and relief from dry cold air — This is a very important factor in the heat loss and prevention process.
2. Within 5 - 15 minutes a specially formulated vanilla complex is able to gently warm your skin as it passes through the layers. Once it is close to the bottom layers a mix of vitamin B ingredients starts to slightly increase blood flow which brings warmth to the applied areas.
3. As Coldscreen dries on the surface of your skin it creates an ultra-thin, invisible layer from Jojoba Seed, Shea Butter, and Antarctic Kelp. This is able to work with your body to help maintain the naturally generated heat that is created by your large muscle groups.
5. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WORK & HOW LONG DO THE EFFECTS LAST FOR?
Through both our testing and customer follow up feedback we have found that 97% of people experience the warming effects within the first 5-15 minutes.
It is normally the case that it will take you a couple of uses to figure out when the perfect time to apply is for you. Whether it is commuting to work on a cold morning or heading out on the ski slopes, you will need to know how far in advance you should put it on and it can be different for different people.
Coldscreen will keep its effects from anywhere between 2-6 hours depending on the:
- Outside ambient temperature - the lower the temp the shorter it will last
- Skin condition - if you have damaged, rougher skin, the active ingredients find it harder to penetrate and absorb which means it may not last as long
- Activity levels - The ultra-thin barrier is one of the longest lasting elements and will continue to harness your body's natural heat that is emphasized with an increased heart rate through activity.
6. WILL THIS STOP ME FROM GETTING HYPOTHERMIA?
Coldscreen is designed to improve your overall experience in colder temperatures by keeping you warmer and more comfortable.
While it can significantly help with extra warmth, It is not intended as a substitute for appropriate clothing in harsh environments, and will not prevent or cure hypothermia or other similar conditions.
Please use good judgment for the surroundings you will be going into.
7. WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET TOO HOT WHEN WEARING IT OR IF I WALK INTO A HOT ROOM?
This is an important one to make sure you are not caught by surprise.
The simple answer here is that any external heat source will emphasize the effects of Coldscreen and can be explained by the well-known feeling of going from swimming in cold water to then jumping in a hot jacuzzi — it always feels a lot hotter than what it would normally.
This includes a room heated with a fireplace or internal heater, hot water from a shower or hot tub and a sauna.
It is mainly just something to be aware of and if you will not be heading back into a cold environment again, you will want to remove Coldscreen by simply washing it off with soap and ‘COOL’ water.
You will find that after a short period of time the effects will start to dissipate and go.
If needed, you can always reapply before going back out — like after a lunch on the mountain because the snow is so good :)
8. DOES COLDSCREEN WORK THE SAME FOR EVERYONE?
As everyone throughout different stages of their lives has an ever-changing condition of their skin, it means that Coldscreen users will have slightly different experiences of warmth and duration of effectiveness.
Through countless studies and trials, we have found and recommend that it should be applied to clean dry skin before going out into the cold. This helps keep your pores clean and lets it get on to its warming work.
9. WHAT IS THE INITIAL TINGLING FEELING WHEN I USE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME?
After application, you will know when the warming process is starting by the feeling of a gentle tingling sensation
This is produced by the slight increase in blood flow moving through the skin layers.
This feeling is then replaced within about 20 minutes maximum by a smooth building of warmth that you can really feel.
After about 3-5 uses of Coldscreen, most people’s body’s adapt to the feeling and will no longer have the slight tingling feeling at all.
10. IS IT WATERPROOF?
This one gets asked a lot, mainly from people who are looking to use it while swimming, diving, surfing or a combination such as multi-sport events.
The answer is no, the current version is not completely waterproof and is not able to combat the conduction forces that cold water brings.
It is, however, water resistant and will not instantly disappear with a light drizzle.
We are currently in the R&D phase of producing a version for water sports so let us know if you are interested.
So there you have it. We will keep updating this post with new questions that come up or that you want answering.
If you do have absolutely any other questions that you have been wondering about or that you can't seem to get your head around then please leave them in the comments below and we get them answered for you!